Tuesday, September 6, 2011

100 Calorie Oatmeal Plum Muffins

A few weeks ago I got  about  7 or 8 very ripe plums in my basket.  Usually I eat them in smoothies, but there was no way I could go through that many so fast. I was reading someone’s post on the BB Facebook Page about Plum Muffins. They looked so good, but were full of sugar and fat. I googled “healthy oatmeal plum muffins”, but there wasn’t a recipe that was exactly what I was looking for, so I tweaked all of them and my experiment worked! This recipe is similar to the oatmeal muffin recipes that use applesauce instead of oil. You can’t really taste the plums, just the oatmeal.  They’re still good, plus they’re filling, and they’re only 100 calories!  *Be warned though, I was trying to use ALL of the plums, so this recipe is gigantic. . .as in it yields 44 muffins. You may want to alter it according to your needs. (Or freeze them like I did and pop one in the microwave whenever your stomach tries to tell you that you’re hungry.  J

100 Calorie Oatmeal Plum Muffins
3 C Pureed Plums
6 C Oats
3 C Wheat Flour
5 C Milk
3 T Honey
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine all ingredients. Bake in greased muffin tin at 400 F for 18-20 minutes.  Makes 44 muffins.

3 comments:

  1. You can also freeze some of your overly ripe fruits, and then add them to your smoothies later on! I was struggling with our overly ripe fruits for awhile.....until my neighbor told me that each Friday she goes through her left over fruit, cuts out any moldy/bad spots, then freezes it, plums included, (which I never ever would think of freezing!), then they add the frozen fruits into their smoothies throughout the wk! Just another idea to add to your already great ideas!! Can't wait to try this recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freeze lots of over ripe produce for smoothies, both fruits and veggies. I think the smoothies taste better without adding ice anyways. It keeps me from wasting my bountiful basket goodies when there's a week I can't eat it all too. I also convert most recipes to a gluten, sugar & dairy free version .. surprisingly most of the time, it turns out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did not enjoy these! A noble effort to use up a bunch of plums, but the texture was not muffin like at all. I'm not sure what I'll do with all these muffins; I don't think my kids will be fans.

    ReplyDelete