Friday, September 2, 2011

Why Bountiful Baskets?

Note: If you found your way to this blog, you probably already know what Bountiful Baskets is. . .and if you don't, go to their website RIGHT NOW!!!

Ok, now that we have that out of the way. :) This blog is about reaching my goal of being back at a healthy weight. I'm hoping if I have people to report to, I'll stick to it better this time. I've been overweight before and lost over 50 lbs by watching portions and exercising (and kept it off for 7 years), but once I got married I gained it all back, plus some. The first time I lost the weight, my main motivation was how I looked. That's still a motivation, but this time I'm more worried about my health. I'm 25 years old, 5' 10.5" tall, and as of July 27th of this year I weighed about 232 lbs. This Summer is the first time in my life (to my knowledge) that I'm considered Obese by my BMI. When I started having health problems, I finally said Enough is enough!

I've been ordering a bountiful basket off and on for about a year and a half now. Usually I get one every other week because I'm the only one eating most of it, but this month I've tried getting one every week. I've found that if I make it my goal to eat everything, I don't have that much room in my diet to eat the "other" stuff. I get to snack all day and still lose weight, because the healthy stuff isn't as calorie dense as junk food would be.

I don't live exclusively off of my bountiful basket; I know there are other things my body needs. I try to get protein and whole grains, and if I want a treat, I eat it. I'm trying to make a permanent change, and I know I would never be able to go the rest of my life without chocolate. :) I'm just being careful with portions again.

I've seen on Facebook that a lot of people have lost weight with Bountiful Baskets, but I couldn't find a blog or website about it, so I made one. Please feel free to comment with any ideas or thoughts you have!

6 comments:

  1. Wow .. I'm inspired by you and your dedication to get healthy! Congratulations & good luck. I"m going to try the oatmeal spinach smoothie, sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blog I will finally enjoy following!! I too started BB for health reasons....I am looking forward to watching you on your path to success!! And can't wait to see some of your ideas, and tips!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaa for you!! You go girl!! I will be following along as I am trying too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to find your blog. I too need to follow your example. What a neat, inspired idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost 50 pounds partly because of Bountiful Baskets! I challenged my family of four to start eating a whole basket every week, since that would help us go in the right direction of eating more fruits and veggies. It was hard at first but now after a year sometimes we get the extra vegetable and fruit packs to supplement, we are eating so much healthier!

    Here are two changes I would highly recommend: First, with any dinner recipe you make, triple the amount of veggies, reduce the amount of meat and grains to 1/3 (and preferably make the grains whole grains). The basic flavor of the dish remains the same, but it is a lot healthier!

    Second, stop buying ready-made desserts. If you REALLY want something sweet, you have to make it yourself, and you have to make it with some added produce so you get at least a little nutrition in your dessert. Say hello to fruit pie, pumpkin/zucchini/banana/persimmon bread, and green smoothies! I also make all my desserts with whole wheat flour.

    These two changes in my diet, along with exercise, has helped me shed 50 pounds in a year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea to make yourself eat everything in the basket!

    ReplyDelete