Monday, October 24, 2011

Carrot-Cauliflower Soup Update

I mentioned before that I wanted to try roasting the vegetables the next time I made a soup to see if the flavor was any different than boiling them. I tried it out this weekend, and I have to say, I think it does make a difference. I don't even know how to describe the change in flavor, but I liked it. Here's sort of a rough recipe (I usually just start throwing things in, so it's never exactly the same.)

Carrots (I used 3 lbs)
Cauliflower (2 heads)
Tomatoes (7 of them)
1/2 C Olive Oil
3 Cloves Garlic + some extra garlic powder
Onion Powder (I didn't have any onions this time)
Italian Seasoning
Morning Moo Milk Alternative
Water

Chop up the veggies, including garlic cloves, and put them in a large roasting pan. . .I had to use a turkey roasting pan. Make sure to drain the juice from the tomatoes as much as possible, and put it in the fridge to add back in later. Coat veggies with olive oil and toss in the pan. Put in the oven at 350 degrees until all veggies are tender. Remove from oven. Add spices, water, reserved tomato juice, and milk alternative. Blend until smooth.

Just a couple of notes on this:

1- You could probably use more garlic cloves and omit the powder. I just decided I wanted more flavor after I had removed the veggies from the oven.

2- I use milk alternative a lot because I got a 50 lb bag for my food storage a few months ago. I like that it thickens like flour, but gives a flavor more like adding cream, and it's low in calories.

3- One problem with roasting vs. boiling is that it takes longer to roast the veggies, and the soup ended up with a slightly grainy texture from the carrots. Hopefully you have a more powerful blender than I do though. . .*sigh*  I wish I could afford a vitamix or a blendtec!

I also have a ton of plums that have accumulated over the last few weeks.  Time to make some more 100 Calorie Oatmeal Plum Muffins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment