Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chocolate Cinnamon Zucchini Bread

I've got plum puree coming out my ears! As I mentioned in my last post, I have a lot of plums from the last few weeks that I've been planning on using for my 100 calorie muffins. . .but when I put them in the food processor, I ended up with 7 Cups of puree. Since the recipe only calls for 3 cups, and already makes a ton of muffins, I decided to try a zucchini bread recipe too.

At first, the only low-calorie zucchini bread recipes I could find had artificial sweeteners in them. I don't keep any of that stuff in my house, because for some reason my husband gets a weird aftertaste from anything with "fake" sugar in it. (In the beginning I thought he was making it up, but there have been a few times even I didn't know there was artificial sweetener in something I gave him until he said it tasted funny.) 

After looking for a while, I found this recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Bread. It's already been modified a little. It has 239 calories (The original had 365) per serving. I modified it even more and cut the calories in half. (Down to less than 120 calories per serving.) I also did it as muffins (more like cupcakes, with how sweet they are) because I feel like it's easier than trying to slice a loaf evenly. Here's my final version:


Chocolate Cinnamon Zucchini Bread

1 C all-purpose flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 T cinnamon
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1  1/4 C brown sugar
1 C plum puree
1 tsp vanilla
1 ounce unsweetened bakers chocolate, melted
2 C grated zucchini (with peel)


1- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
2- In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
3- Add brown sugar, plum puree, vanilla, and bakers chocolate to eggs and beat until smooth.
4-Add wet ingredients and grated zucchini to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
5- Spoon into muffin tin and bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

tips:

* The recipe will stick to the pan. Make sure to grease it (or use cupcake liners like I did).
* Make sure you melt the bakers chocolate thoroughly, and begin beating the wet ingredients as soon as you put it in.  Otherwise it will harden again.
*If you have a picky eater, try peeling your zucchini before you grate it, and make sure to use a grater with small holes. I used a larger one, and I can see pieces of the green peel when I bite into the muffin. It's not a big deal to me, but a picky person probably wouldn't like that very much.


All in all, I think this recipe is pretty good! And the best part is, I can have my chocolate and still lose weight! Who said you can't have your cake and eat it too?








2 comments:

  1. Sounds delish! Have you ever tried using agave, raw honey, or granulated fructose in your recipes? It will help lower the glycemic index of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've tried honey and agave. I love using honey, but with this recipe I was worried that substituting honey might mess with the liquid ratio. How would I have to adjust the rest of the recipe to use honey instead of sugar?

    ReplyDelete