Monday, October 10, 2011

Coping with Stress

I've heard that there have been studies done on the effect of stress on weight and weight loss. Supposedly it's more difficult to lose weight when you're stressed out. I don't know whether it's because it slows down your metabolism, or makes you want to eat more. . .but either way, stress has got to go.

Here are some of the things that I like to do to relieve stress:

1- Exercise-- I don't know the chemical and hormonal reasons why, but I do know it makes me feel better.
2- Listen to relaxing music--For example, yesterday it was my Debussy station on Pandora.
3- Go for a drive/ride--I especially love driving up the canyon near my house.
4-Dark Chocolate--As long as I only eat a small piece, it's actually healthy. And I've heard it releases endorphins that help lift your mood.
5-Play the Piano-- I teach and accompany as my profession, but sometimes playing "the fun stuff" can release all kinds of tension.

What other healthy ways of dealing with stress have worked for you in the past?

1 comment:

  1. Daily naps (as much as I can anyway). I actually heard that it can even prolong your life and make you look younger. Even if it's just a quick 20-30 min. Naps don't necessarily mean sleep. But it's when I can clear my mind. Quick funny story... my husband is getting sick of me talking his ear off when we go to bed at night. By the time we get to sleep it could be 30-60 min. after we went to bed. He told me a couple weeks ago to please bring up all this "stuff" earlier in the day. I said that I don't think of it earlier in the day, that my brain thinks better when it's in a horizontal position. LOL! It's true, I don't know what it is but something about laying down allows my brain to work a little better. Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete