Monday, November 7, 2011

Enjoy The Journey: How Bountiful Baskets is Changing My Life

We live in a society of immediate gratification. If I need a recipe for something from my basket, I Google it. If I want to know what the weather will be tomorrow, I use my Weather Channel App. Forget about sending a letter; isn't e-mail so much faster? And why would you travel long distances by car (or boat) when you can just fly? These days, there are so many things we can get NOW, that it's difficult to be patient when you want something that you have to work for. There are so many "lose-an-insane-amount-of-weight-in-only-one-month" schemes online that it could make anyone's head spin. They're all the rage for a couple of years, but it seems like they always end up in lawsuits because their so-called "miracle drug" caused some serious damage.   The truth is, whether you want to believe it or not, exercise and eating a balanced diet is the only healthy way to lose weight.

One thing I didn't expect when I started blogging about it, is how fun the journey itself would be. I enjoy going to the gym and finding creative ways to use the produce I get every week in my basket. I love reaching my mini-goals and finding clothes that fit again. And I love feeling healthy. I can run faster and jump higher than three months ago, and I feel so much stronger! Today I ate a red bell pepper for a snack, and it tasted sweet because my taste-buds aren't desensitized with high fructose corn syrup anymore (but the blue raspberry airhead I ate the other day made me sick--all I wanted was a drink of water to get rid of the sugary taste).  I've always gotten too much sodium, and I've learned it's not as hard to stay within the RDA when I eat a lot of fresh foods.

 I love this blog because I actually have to sit and think about what I've accomplished, and I can see what a difference it's made for me. I know when this is all "over", it won't really be over. Because this is going to change the way I eat for the rest of my life, and I'm grateful for the journey.


I promised progress pictures when I reached thirty pounds, so here we go: The first one is at my sister's high school graduation in June. I gained a little more after this, but there are no pictures. The last two were taken today. I'm kind of half in the shade, but you get the idea.





I'm so excited for my progress so far, and I can't wait to see where the rest of the journey will take me!




7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on changing your lifestyle and in your weight-loss success. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, you look great! Keep up the good work. I enjoy reading your blog, you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Keep it up, you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! You do not look like the same person at all. For one thing, you look a whole lot younger now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! You are doing wonderfully, and look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete