Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Excuses, Excuses. . .

This blog is all about using my bountiful basket to lose weight. It's great, I feel healthy, and I'm so glad I decided to do it. But we all know that any diet/food choice/lifestyle change (whatever you want to call it) would never be complete without exercise. I was never a "going to the gym" kind of girl; I always thought gyms were just for stick-thin models and body builders with huge muscles. Then I discovered my community fitness center, (Did you know real people go to the gym too?!) and I found that I actually do better exercising with other people around. For instance, if I'm doing a zumba video at home, I'm more likely to stop and rest constantly. But if I'm in a class, the instructor won't let me get away with that. The group setting also makes it feel more social and fun to workout.

If I don't get to go to the gym in the morning, I feel drained for the rest of the day. It wasn't always like that, though. I've gone through periods where I had that long list of excuses for not exercising, and my most-used excuse was: "I just don't have the time right now." Looking back, I know I was just lying to myself. Even at the busiest times of life, there's always time to do something. . .even if it's just 25 sit-ups in the morning, getting up to dance when my favorite song comes on the radio, or parking farther away when I go to work or the store. Every little bit adds up in the long run.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I actually enrolled in a jogging and fitness class at my local community college. I have a required time, required attendance, and it is for a grade. Much more motivating then doing it on my own.

    ReplyDelete