Saturday, January 7, 2012

First Basket of the Year!!!

I am SO HAPPY to finally have a ton of fresh produce in my house again! I've had to survive the last week on a few remnants left over from my last order, and stuff I'd put in the freezer. I'm super excited about the blackberries and spinach, and I'm planning on using them as the main 2 ingredients in a green smoothie for breakfast tomorrow. And I'm thinking steamed broccoli with some parmesan and lemon juice will be excellent for lunch. I also got the 9 grain (since it was back to $10 this week), and was surprised to see that it was the organic version. Bonus! One thing I don't know what to do with is the radishes. I've tried them before, but don't like them plain. The first time I got them in the baskets, they sat in my refrigerator crisper until they went bad and I had to throw them away. How do you eat radishes?

Also, I know I said in the last post that I don't do resolutions, BUT the awesome thing about this time of year is that there are tons of programs and support groups for people who are trying to reach their goals. I joined a biggest loser challenge at my gym, a "lose 10 lbs in a month" challenge with a local television show (on facebook), and an online forum where we weigh in every Friday until Easter. Use all the resources you can while they're available!!!

Have a healthy week!

(P.S. Can you tell by all my exclamation marks that I feel very energetic today?)    :)

5 comments:

  1. I don't have any awesome ideas for the radishes themselves other than.... salad? haha. But I was wondering the same thing this week and found this soup recipe that uses the green tops: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/radish-top-soup/detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I slice radishes in half and then slice each half thinly and put them in salad. I also like to eat them with a little salt. I saw a recipe on Martha Stewart one time where the guest was saying that radishes were his mom's secret ingredient in the recipe they were making, but I can't remember what it was. :-)

    Jo Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite radish recipe is to slice them thinly along with cucumbers and a little red onion, generously salt and pepper and let them sit for a little while, then splash with apple cider vinegar and a few pinches of sugar or a tsp of honey and stir. Yummy quick, crunchy pickles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are some radish ideas, from Carla Emery's book THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF COUNTRY LIVING:

    Raw - dipped in salt or mayonnaise, grated or sliced in salad, or sliced thin on sandwiches. Try radish roses - choose round radishes without blemishes, wash, trim off the roots, and part of the stalk, leaving on a few of the best-looking short leaves. With a sharp knife, starting at the root end, peel down the red skin, make about 5 of these "petals."

    Braised radishes - take 2 T butter, 2 c. sliced radishes, 1 bouillon cube, 1/4 c hot water, 1/8 t. ground marjoram, and salt. Melt butter in saucepan, add radishes, cook about 5 minutes. Stir frequently. Dissolve bouillon in hot water, add to radishes and simmer 3-4 minutes. Add marjoram and serve as a hot vegetable.

    Creamed radishes - Wash, pare, and slice the radishes to get about 1 1/2 cups. Boil until tender. Make a white sauce from 2T flour, 2T butter, 1 cup milk, salt and pepper. Mix the sauce with the radishes and serve hot.

    Fried radishes - cut into long strips, dip each strip into beaten egg then into crumbs, and then fry it.

    Hope that helps some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete