Thursday, January 19, 2012

Homemade Stock

If you've been reading my blog for very long, you've probably noticed that I like making soups and sauces with the veggies from my basket. To give a soup more flavor, it's usually better to start with chicken, beef, or vegetable stock. If you buy the canned stuff from the store or use bouillon cubes, you're probably getting way too much sodium. If your sodium intake is too high, it can raise your blood pressure and cause extra water weight (and when you're trying to lose weight and suddenly gain 5 lbs, it can be frustrating, even if it's just water).

Over the last few weeks, I've done some web surfing looking for homemade stock/broth recipes, and I wanted to share what I found. Click here for vegetable stock and here for chicken stock. (The chicken recipe has instructions for cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot. The stock recipe is under that.)  When you're done making the stock, try freezing it in ice cube trays instead of one giant block. It's much easier to add the exact amount you need to your recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment