Thursday, January 19, 2012

Should you exercise when you're sick?

I don't get sick very often, but last week I caught a cold.  I knew I didn't want to make it last longer by not taking care of myself, so I had to find out if it's okay to exercise when you're sick. I turned to my friend Google. "Can I exercise when I'm sick?" brought up several pages. Almost all of them said it really depends on what kind of sickness you have. If all your symptoms are above your neck (for example, sore throat, runny nose, etc), you should be fine, as long as you don't go at it at the highest intensity possible. If your symptoms are below your neck (t
hings like upset stomach, chest congestion/coughing, or diarrhea), you should stop exercising until you feel better. So according to the information Google gave me, here's the answer to my question.

Can I exercise when I'm sick?

Head Cold = yes, but low intensity
Chest Cold/Bronchitis/Pneumonia = no
Flu = no

Also, think about where you're exercising. If you're contagious, you should probably stay away from the gym. 

No comments:

Post a Comment