Thursday, January 12, 2012

Swiss Oats

Oatmeal is a fantastic breakfast food. It's got fiber, protein, and iron (which are all things it's easy to be deficient in), it's filling, it tastes delicious, and it's versatile: I could eat oatmeal every day for a year and never get sick of it, because it's easy to change the flavor with different add-ins.

The only problem I have with oatmeal is the texture. There's a very fine line between "delicious" and "mushy". I can't stand mushy oatmeal! It usually turns out better if I use the stove instead of the microwave, but there's not always time in the morning to cook it the old fashioned way. . .so what other option is there?  Swiss Oats!

The Recipe for Swiss Oats is simple: Grab some kind of bowl or other container that has a lid. Dump in equal parts of Old Fashioned Oats and Milk (or Almond Milk, Soy Milk, or Coconut Milk). Then add honey and cinnamon to taste. Mix everything together, put the lid on, and stick it in the fridge overnight. The next morning, pull it out of the fridge and choose your mix-ins. I had some the other day with blackberries from my basket, and it was delicious. Any kind of berry would taste great (especially blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries), but bananas are also very good. For something different, you could try raisins, craisins, or almonds. If you have a dehydrator you can even make your own raisins with all the grapes we've been getting lately. :)  The trick is to try a lot of different flavors and find what you like.

Happy experimenting!


3 comments:

  1. We call this muesli at our house. My favorite way to serve it is to double the liquid/oats. So, say 1/4 cup oats (I like steel-cut), 1/4 C. apple cider (we just juice some apples in our juicer) + 1/4 C. almond milk. Then some cinnamon and ginger. Grate a little orange peel over it, and voila! Then we add almonds or pecans in the morning + whatever dried/fresh fruit we have around. If you prepare it with apple juice, it is very sweet, so you don't even have to add honey. Another great add-in (especially if you like it heated up) is to put a heaping scoop of hot homemade crockpot (over night) applesauce in the center of your bowl and mix it together. It is one of my favorite breakfasts, because I can grab it out of the fridge on my way to the gym and eat half before my workout (while driving), and the other half on my way home. Then the kids can grab their individual bowls out of the fridge and I don't have to make breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea! I'll have to try it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. - New B.B. participantApril 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM

    I also really struggle with oatmeal texture -- to the point that I can't imagine saying I could eat oatmeal every day -- I love Swiss Oats (my Mom made it for us when I was a kid) and I recently discovered steel cut oats which have a great chewy texture -- I don't like steel cut oats sweet so I drizzle it with blackstrap molasses and sprinkle with nuts and seeds.

    ReplyDelete