Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tart & Tangy Blueberry Vinaigrette

The problem with store-bought salad dressings is that they're either calorie-laden & high in fat, or they have way too much sodium. Neither option is really very healthy. I like using a lot of dressing on my salads, so it usually works out much better if I make my own. When I saw the blueberries, I thought it was the perfect time to try a blueberry vinaigrette. I couldn't find any recipes online that were exactly what I wanted, so I decided to improvise. Here's what I ended up with:

Tart & Tangy Blueberry Vinaigrette

1 Container of blueberries, pureed (6 oz. container)
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1/4 C water
1 C plain non-fat yogurt
Dash of Cinnamon (to taste)


All you have to do is puree the blueberries, then mix everything else in. Keep it in a lidded container in the fridge, and remember, there are no preservatives so you must plan on using it quickly.

The yogurt gives it a little more body (I like my dressings on the creamy side). "Tart & Tangy" really does describe this dressing. If you like a sweeter dressing, try adding a little honey or agave nectar.

My favorite part about this recipe is that I can have more dressing on my salad. The entire recipe (and it makes quite a lot) only has about 250 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment