Monday, June 11, 2012

Delicious and Versatile Pineapple Sauce (No Sugar Added!)

I love pineapple! It's delicious, and it's a much healthier treat than a candy bar. Usually I eat it plain, but this week I decided to try something different with the pineapple from my basket. I wanted to make Cinnamon Ginger French Toast (don't worry--I made it the "light" way. . .with BB 9 Grain Bread, egg whites, & low-fat milk), but I didn't want to smother it with syrup.  (And I don't live anywhere near Vermont, so unless I want to pay a lot at the store for REAL syrup, I end up with colored sugar water. . .)  What was my answer to this dilemma? PINEAPPLE!

Pineapple is higher in sugar than some other fruits, but it's packed with Vitamins and Minerals, and even has some fiber. So. . .I pulled out my vitamix and went to work making pineapple sauce! Here's the super easy recipe:



1-Cut the skin off the pineapple and throw it away.
2-Put a little bit of water in the bottom of your blender--just enough to get the blades moving.
3-Cut the fruit into chunk)s small enough to fit in your blender. (If you have a high powered blender, use the core too. It worked fine in my vitamix.)
3-Blend on high until the mixture is smooth enough to drink. If you need to, add more water.
4-Pour mixture into a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
5-When the sauce has reduced a little, you have two options. A) Let it reduce until it's the thickness you want, or B) Add a thickener.  I used Corn Starch. Don't let it get too thick while it's on the stove, or it will be solid when it cools off.



And that's it! The perfect consistency for a sauce when warm, and great for a spread when chilled. It tasted delicious on my French Toast.  Here are some other suggestions for foods that would go with it:

--As a sauce on Pancakes--Whole wheat is great! (But if you can't have gluten, or you need more protein because you work out a lot, try these protein pancakes. They're made with flavored protein powder. And if you want to make sure the protein powder doesn't have any gluten, here's a list of safe ones.)
--on toast
--Use your ice cream maker to turn it into a sorbet
--Mixed with plain yogurt
--Mix with yogurt and then put it in the ice cream maker for pineapple frozen yogurt
--As a replacement for jam on a PB&J Sandwich
--As a dressing for a green salad
--As a dressing for a fruit salad (Or you can just dip other fruit into it)
--On Chicken (It would go great with Coconut Chicken)
--Put some in Soda Water and make your own Italian Soda
--Freeze it in an ice cube tray for use in the future

The possibilities are endless! Don't be afraid to experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment