Monday, June 18, 2012

It's not easy being green...



Green smoothies are gaining in popularity among people who want to get more fruits and veggies in their diet.  However, it's still not easy being "green." Quite often when I'm drinking them, people look at me like I'm this guy:



And they react like the kids in the video. . . "Why is it dross? This is so dross!"  


I'm not saying all green smoothies taste wonderful. I enjoy experimenting, and let's just say some of my experiments have turned out less-than-delicious.  Here are some tips if you've never tried them before and want to. Or if you have tried them and it didn't turn out so well.

1- In the beginning, try making a fruit smoothie and adding only a tiny bit of greens to it. As you get used to them, you can try adding more.

2-Try using veggies with a milder flavor at first. I like Spinach best, but I also like using carrots, butter lettuce, and kale. I prefer not using Romaine unless the other flavors are very strong (like Peanut Butter and Banana). Also, watch out for the strong tasting vegetabes. I love celery, but I tried to put it in a smoothie one time and it made me gag.

3- When I bought my Vitamix, the lady at the demonstration desk said throwing a slice of lime in green smoothies helps to take away some of the bitterness from the vegetables.

4-If you do use more bitter vegetables, try using sweeter fruit. They will balance each other out.

5-In a strength contest between flavors, banana always wins.


Those are all the tips I can think of right now. If any of you have any other ideas or general rules you follow when you're throwing stuff in the blender, feel free to comment.

I hope this post has made at least some of you want to try green smoothies. I promise if you find the right amount of green for you, "You can't even taste it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment