Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Strawberries & Cream Oatmeal


Since I volunteered at my pick-up site on Saturday, I was able to get another container of strawberries as my extra. I love strawberries! This morning I used some of them to make Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal. It was delicious! Plus, the way I make oatmeal makes it expand until it's a huge bowl so it fills you up more.  Here's what I did:

Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal

1/2 C Oats
2 C Water
About half a container of Strawberries (160 g)
2 T liquid coffee creamer (I used Vanilla Caramel flavor)

1- Bring Oats, Water, and 1/3 of the Strawberries to a boil in a sauce pan, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Because there is more liquid in this recipe than oatmeal usually calls for, it will take longer to cook.

2- When the oatmeal is finished cooking, transfer it to a bowl. Add 1/3 of the strawberries. Using a stick blender, combine the strawberries and oatmeal so they are a uniform consistency. (The extra water also gives the oatmeal a gummy consistency, and blending gets rid of that.)

3- Cut up the last 1/3 of your strawberries and place them on top of your oatmeal.

4-Pour the liquid coffee creamer over the top of the strawberries.

5-Enjoy!


I ate this after I came home from the gym this morning, and it was delicious. The only thing that could make it better is less sugar. (Maybe half the creamer.)  I've posted the nutrition facts below, thanks to Calorie Count's Recipe Analyzer. I love this tool because you can look up the calorie count for any recipe you make, and it even gives the recipe a nutrition grade.  This one got an A-.




Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 398 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories
272
Calories from Fat
60
% Daily Value*
Total Fat
6.7g
10%
Saturated Fat
1.7g
8%
Trans Fat
0.0g
Cholesterol
0mg
0%
Sodium
20mg
1%
Total Carbohydrates
49.7g
17%
Dietary Fiber
6.8g
27%
Sugars
18.4g
Protein
6.5g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 157%
Calcium 4%Iron 14%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Nutritional Analysis

Good points
Bad points

No comments:

Post a Comment