Friday, July 20, 2012

What do you see when you look in the mirror?





The last few months of my weight loss journey have been pretty difficult. In February I was down to 50 lbs lost, but with my surgery I gained about 5 lbs back. What I find interesting (and a little disturbing), is that 45 lbs seemed wonderful when I got down to that point, but going back up to it is awful.

Recently, my husband and I went to a new park so he could practice taking pictures of me (he's an amateur photographer) and find all the good spots for a photo shoot he had the next day. I was not very excited about getting my picture taken. In my mind, that extra 5 lbs looked like the entire 50. . .but I needed some photos done anyway for a project I'm working on, so I went along with it. After we got home, I looked at the photos and realized something. I look a lot better than what I see when I look in the mirror.

How often do we not see things as they really are? Everyone does it--especially women. We look in the mirror and immediately begin searching for something to pick at.  I once heard someone say that you should stand in front of your mirror every morning, look yourself in the eye, and tell yourself how beautiful you are. Find something you like about yourself instead of something you wish would improve. Yes, we need to take care of or physical health, but we also need to care for our emotional health. The thinnest, most gorgeous supermodel in the world could improve her looks with a smile. So can you.


So. . . what do you see when you look in the mirror? The truth. . .or something else?

3 comments:

  1. Well said. Mental image is one of the hardest things to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided to start using BB and found your blog while looking for information on them. I hope you don't mind that I decided to follow.

    This post came at the perfect time, I've been avoiding my mirror all week. I have to say I probably see all my flaws, both physical and otherwise, when looking in the mirror. It leads me to believe I'm not as fantastic as I really am. Perhaps I should post a reminder next to the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Stacey Lynn--

    Feel free to follow. Congratulations on finding BB!

    ReplyDelete