Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Failed Experiments

I love food experiments.  Sometimes they work great and  I come away with new recipes to post, and new ideas to build on.  Sometimes they don't work out so well--in fact, sometimes they fail in a big way.  There was one experiment back before my attempts at healthy cooking that my husband refers to as "Nuclear Orange Chicken Jello".  I had a picture for a long time.  It looked like an orange jello mold. . .with chicken in it.  Needless to say, we did not end up eating that.

Yesterday I said I was going to try a carrot "green" smoothie oatmeal and let you know how it went today.  Well, I didn't really like it.  The texture was kind of weird. I used half of the smoothie to cook yesterday's oatmeal in, and the other half to make overnight refrigerator oats with.  The refrigerator ones weren't quite as bad as the cooked oatmeal, but if I were you I still wouldn't do it.  I think the smoothie was just a little too thick.  It's a sound idea though, maybe in the future I'll experiment more with adding more water.  (And I'm sure you could do great things if you have a juicer.

I still love experiments though. You can learn so much from them. If it completely fails, look on the bright side.  At least you can get a laugh out of it (And at least it isn't Nuclear Orange Chicken Jello). And if it doesn't fail and you get a great new recipe, all the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment